Prevent the spread of germs by washing your hands
What are the Four Principles of Hand Awareness?
- Wash your hands before and after eating.
- Do not cough into your hands.
- Do not sneeze into your hands.
- Above all, do not put your fingers in your eyes, nose and mouth, also known as the T Zone.
How should hands be washed?
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure to lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
What is the T Zone?
The T Zone is the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. Those mucous membranes are the only portals of entry for bacteria that cause respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases. Touching your T Zone with fingers or hands that are contaminated with germs can make you sick. Avoiding the T Zone is the only way to avoid getting a cold, flu or other respiratory illness!