SEPTEMBER is Fruits & Veggies -More Matters Month!
September is Fruits and Veggies -More Matters- month!
Fruits and Veggies- More Matters® is a health initiative focused on improving health for Americans by incorporating greater amounts of fruits and vegetables into their daily diet.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend filling half your plate with vegetables and fruit. Research suggests that eating enough fruits and vegetables is linked to a lower risk of many chronic diseases and may help protect against certain types of cancer. Fruits and vegetables are high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and provide many nutrients beneficial to your health.
Did you know?
Myplate.gov recommends filling half your plate with servings of fruits and vegetables.
What is a serving of fruits & vegetables?
A serving is:
- 1 cup of berries
- 1 medium piece of fruit
- 1/2 cup canned fruit packed in 100% juice
- 3/4 cup of 100% fruit juice
- 1/4 cup dried fruit
- 1/2 cup raw or cooked vegetables
- 1 cup leafy vegetables
- 1/2 cup cooked beans or peas
Make fruits & vegetables more visible by:
- Keeping a fruit bowl on the kitchen counter or your desk/work area
- Storing fruits and vegetables on the top shelf of the refrigerator
- Grabbing an apple or banana when you leave the dining hall or on your way to class
- Keeping dried fruit in your backpack
For more information about incorporating fruits and vegetables into your daily diet, visit our Nutrition Services page or schedule an appointment with a nutritionist today!