Get Medical or Immunization Records
The Student Health Care Center can make copies of student medical records with the written consent of the patient. Medical records of UF students are kept 10 years following enrollment inactivity or graduation. If a student returns to enroll at UF within that timeframe, his/her records are reactivated. After 10 years of inactivity, the medical records are shredded and burned in accordance with regulations. Immunization records, however, have been stored on microfilm since 1987, and these will be retained for the convenience of current and former students who need access to this information.
Please complete one of the forms below, then fax to (352) 392-5129. You may also hand-deliver or mail your request to: UF Student Health Care Center, ATTN: Medical Records, P.O. Box 117500, 280 Fletcher Drive, Gainesville, FL 32601-7500. Call (352) 273-4737 with any questions.
- Requests for copies of all or portions of past medical records must be in writing and signed by the patient. Immunization records may also be requested by phone; call (352) 273-4737.
- If you are not a currently enrolled UF student, payment must be arranged prior to records being mailed or faxed. See “Charges” information below.
- Requests turned in to the SHCC by 2 p.m. Monday through Friday should be available for pickup after 4 p.m. on the same day and any time during regular SHCC hours thereafter. Requests for faxed or mailed records are handled as soon as possible.
- In accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the SHCC may not release information about medical care for any student 18 or over without express permission from the patient. (By law, medical records for patients 17 and under are available to parents.)
- This form may not be used to request future medical/immunization records. Current UF SHCC patients may use this form to request copies of past medical or immunization records or to allow a third party verbal access to current diagnoses/treatments for specific conditions for a designated period of time.
- Should a patient 18 or over wish to release specific medical information to a third party, such as a parent or family member, they should inform their health care provider during or immediately after their visit. As each visit is treated individually, the patient must inform their health care provider of their wishes at each visit.
If applicable, please call (352) 273-4737 to arrange payment prior to records being mailed or faxed.
For copies which are authorized for pickup or mailing, there is no charge for the first 10 pages. There is a charge of $1 per page for next 25 pages, and 25 cents per page after the first 35 pages. There is a charge of $7 per hour for labor in obtaining copies of the records. Postage charges will be the total weight being mailed. Fax services are as follows: 1-2 pages, no charge. (We do not fax more than 2 pages.)