Menu UF Health Home Menu

New Students: General FAQ

Welcome to the University of Florida and the Student Health Care Center (SHCC). Our mission is to help you remain healthy while you’re at UF, so please remember that we are here to help!

Additional assistance is available for students with physical, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities through the Disability Resource Center (Dean of Students Office, Division of Student Affairs).







Do I have to make an appointment or can I walk in?

All visits should be scheduled via phone or online. Call the main number (352-392-1161) or your team or specialty clinic directly, or visit NOTE: Students experiencing severe illness or injury during regular hours may come in directly for care in the Urgent/Acute Care Clinic.

How do I cancel an appointment?

Call your team or specialty clinic directly, or cancel online to avoid a no-show fee.

What happens if I’m late or don’t show up?

You may be asked to reschedule and/or charged a no-show fee if you do not arrive on time (within 10-15 minutes of the scheduled time) or do not cancel.

What do I need to bring with me?

Bring your Gator1 photo ID to all appointments. If insured, bring your insurance card to every appointment. Save time in the waiting room by providing your insurance information ahead of time — visit Private Insurance and Verification for more information. Additionally, you will be asked to fill out a Health History Form once a year, which may be completed prior your appointment.

  • Please note: In an effort to protect and determine patient identification, a photo ID will be requested for every encounter of care and prescription unless the person is well known to the organization. In acute situations in which no photo ID is with the patient at the time of treatment, patients may provide UF ID number, date of birth and/or address.

How long will I wait, and how long will my visit be?

Though wait times may vary based on current patient needs, you will likely be seen within 20 minutes of your arrival and can expect to be here for about one hour total. To help us get you in and out as quickly as possible, arrive 15 minutes early to complete required forms.

What is the best way to get to the SHCC?

Parking is available but limited. If you are able, taking a bus or shuttle, biking or walking is the best way to reach us.


Who will see me at my appointment?

Students are assigned a primary care medical team and provider upon entering UF. Operating much like a small doctor’s office, this system enables patients to return to the same group of providers for continuity of care. Familiar faces are a bonus!

What if I’m not sure I need to see someone but have a health-related question?

During regular business hours, your medical team’s nurses can talk to you, evaluate your problem and give general home care advice, if applicable, or advise you to come in for evaluation/treatment. Call your medical team about your concern and they will do everything possible to assist you.

What’s the best way to communicate with my healthcare provider?

The GLADD approach — Give information; Listen and learn; Ask questions; Decide on a treatment plan; and Do it! — created by the Institute for Child Health Policy at the University of Florida, is very helpful for both patients and their providers. The best way to make sure all your concerns are addressed is to talk about your medical history and current condition(s) as completely and honestly as possible.

Can the SHCC treat me if I have a chronic condition (asthma, diabetes, IBS, etc.)?

If you have a chronic condition (asthma, diabetes, IBS, etc.), we encourage you to schedule an initial evaluation appointment at the SHCC to provide past medical records and discuss a treatment plan while here at UF. You may include parents or family members at this appointment if the SHCC is notified when the appointment is made. If we cannot treat you at the SHCC, we can refer you to a qualified community provider and help with the transition. Additional assistance is available for students with physical, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities through the Disability Resource Center (Dean of Students Office, Division of Student Affairs).

Can the SHCC fill prescriptions, and do you take insurance?

Students may fill new and transfer most current prescriptions to the SHCC Pharmacy (Phone: (352) 392-1760 or (866) 941-1760 toll-free), which accepts a variety of commercial prescription plans when the associated plan’s card is presented at the time of purchase, and completes refills by phone or through the SHCC Online Refill Service. The SHCC Pharmacy accepts electronic prescriptions from any physician in the U.S. that subscribes to the Surescripts network. Find out more about e-prescriptions and whether your provider is a member at

Who has access to my medical records?

Due to federal privacy laws, the SHCC may not communicate with anyone other than the patient about their care without their express permission; however, the SHCC recommends regular communication via phone or email to discuss your health and well-being with family and friends.

  • In accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the SHCC may not release information about medical care for any student 18 or over without express permission from the patient. (By law, medical records for patients 17 and under are available to parents/legal guardians.)
  • Should a patient 18 or over wish to release specific medical information to a third party, such as a parent or family member, they should inform their health care provider during or immediately after their visit. As each visit is treated individually, the patient must inform their healthcare provider of their wishes at each visit.


Click here to read about information privacy and security at the SHCC, as well as review our JOINT NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES AND NOTICE OF ORGANIZED HEALTH CARE ARRANGEMENT.


Alachua County and the UF campus both have their fair share of wild animals, and sometimes students will come into contact with them in a not-so-nice way. For that reason, we offer vaccines and care for animal bites. (NOTE: Anyone working with unvaccinated carnivores will go through the pre-employment rabies pre-exposure series.)

Wildlife is just that: WILD. Unvaccinated, non-domesticated (feral) cats and dogs are potential rabies carriers. Wild mammals such as raccoons and bats are also potential rabies carriers. Following these few basic tips can help keep you “out of the woods”:

  • Do not interact directly with wildlife on campus, including calling or chasing.
  • Do not feed wild animals or leave out food for feral cats or dogs — no matter how friendly they may seem — or try to pick up a new pet.
  • If you find a hurt or injured animal, call Florida Wildlife Care at (352) 371-4443. (24-hour help line: (352) 371-4400)

Bottom line? Enjoying wildlife from a distance keeps animals wild and people safe.

Tagged as: ,