PHONE: Call (352) 392-1161
or your assigned Primary Care Team:
- Blue Team: (352) 294-7466
- Green Team: (352) 294-7471
- Orange Team: (352) 294-7475
- Red Team: (352) 294-7465
LOCATION: First Floor, Infirmary Building, 280 Fletcher Drive – Check in at Green Team
HOURS (subject to change during holidays/breaks):
– Fall/Spring: M–F 8am–5pm
– Summer: M–F 8am–4:30pm
Janis Mena, MPH, RDN, LD/N
Currently enrolled students can make an appointment with the Student Health Care Center’s registered dietitian for nutrition education and counseling in Nutrition Services, located on the first floor of the the Infirmary Building. The health fee included with tuition covers patient financial responsibility associated with most SHCC office visits.
How to be seen
Call your assigned primary care team or (352) 392-1161 to schedule an appointment. You will need to bring your current insurance card and a completed Nutrition Questionnaire to your first appointment.
Call to cancel to avoid a no-show charge. You may incur a no-show charge of $25 if you do not arrive on time, are 15 minutes late or do not cancel.
During the first session we will begin an assessment, discuss nutrition recommendations and help you develop a plan to achieve your nutrition goals. After this, you are eligible to schedule follow-up appointments.
Nutrition Services can address:
- Weight gain
- Weight loss
- Eating disorders
- Vegan and vegetarian lifestyles
- Gluten-free living
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol
- Tips for busy college students
- General nutrition information
Cookbooks and farmers markets
The Gator Grub Cookbook was developed by registered dietitians with students’ busy lifestyles in mind. The Hungry Gator Cookbook from our friends at GatorWell Health Promotion Services is another great resource.
Best viewed in Internet Explorer.
- ChooseMyPlate.gov (formerly MyPyramid.gov), created by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, helps individuals use the established Dietary Guidelines for Americans to: make smart choices from every food group; find balance between food and physical activity; get the most nutrition out of calories; and stay within daily calorie needs.
- EatRight.org is the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ (AND) comprehensive website for students, health professionals and the general public. Contains trustworthy, science-based food and nutrition information.
- EDIS, the Electronic Data Information Source of the UF/IFAS Extension, contains information about health and nutrition in Florida, including: 4-H health; disease prevention and management; eating well; health care; hygiene; medicines and supplements; mental health; physical activity; physical health; pregnancy and fertility; and health and nutrition for special populations.
- Field and Fork Food Campus Food Program: The Field and Fork Campus Food Program is a collaboration to create awareness about food insecurity and sustainable food practices. The Pantry, intended to assist members of our campus community who experience food insecurity, offers fresh produce, non-perishable foods, canned goods and toiletries free of charge.
- Gator Dining Services at UF
- GatorWell Health Promotion Services – Healthy Eating and Active Living
- Lose It!: Lose It! is designed with one goal — to help you lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way.
- MyFitnessPal: Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily. Find nutrition facts for over two million foods.
- Navy Operational Fitness and Fueling Series (NOFFS): The NOFFS is designed to provide the Navy with a world-class performance training resource for Sailors, as well as Navy health and fitness professionals. Using the latest sports science methodologies, the logic engine for NOFFS combines both human performance and injury prevention strategies, resulting in safer training while yielding positive human performance outcomes.
- Recovery Record: Eating disorder management from the privacy of your mobile phone. HIGHLIGHTS: Celebrate wins with rewards; Personalize your journey; Use at any time and stage of recovery; Social and secure; and Meaningful collaboration with your treatment team.