Parents & Family Members
General FAQ

PLEASE NOTE: As of May 2016, UF Health Compliance handles all University of Florida requirements regarding immunizations and health insurance. For more information and to complete the official UF forms, visit

Albert_WhiteCoat_DSC0159Welcome to the University of Florida and the Student Health Care Center (SHCC). Our mission is to help your student remain healthy while here at UF. We know it can be difficult sending your student off to school, so remember: We are here to help!

Additional assistance is available for students with physical, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities through the Disability Resource Center (Dean of Students Office, Division of Student Affairs).


Click here to learn about all available primary and specialty care services.

Important Forms

Save time in the waiting room – fill these out ahead of time!

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Charges, Billing & Payment
  • Health Insurance: We recommend patients review all insurance benefits and exclusions before the first visit. Contact your insurance company and provide them our tax identification name and number (Florida Clinical Practice Association, 591680273) to learn how your policy will work at our facility.

About Us


Who will see my student?

Students are assigned a primary care medical team and provider upon entering UF. Operating much like a small doctor’s office, this system enables patients to return to the same group of providers for continuity of care. Familiar faces are a bonus!

With the exception of urgent illness/injury care during regular business hours, students should CALL FIRST to be seen. New patients should get their UF ID number and insurance card ready, then call the main number (352-392-1161) and follow the prompts to establish themselves at the SHCC. (Press 3, then 1.)

  • In general, students seeking care from a medical provider (MD, PA, or APRN) will be provided an appointment within 24-48 hours.
  • Students who feel their concern is urgent may ask to speak to a nurse for same-day advice.

After obtaining an access code from their medical team, students may register for MyUFHealth/MyChart to request future appointments online, communicate with their doctor, access test results, request prescription refills and more. If students need a new access code, please have them call their team to have the information printed for pickup or mailed to them.

What if my student isn’t sure if they need to see someone but has a health-related question?

During regular business hours, your student’s medical team’s nurses can talk to them, evaluate the problem and give general home care advice, if applicable, or advise the student to come in for evaluation/treatment. Students should call their medical team about their concern(s) and they will do everything possible to assist them.

What’s the best way for my student to communicate with their healthcare provider(s)?

The GLADD approach — Give information; Listen and learn; Ask questions; Decide on a treatment plan; and Do it! — created by the Institute for Child Health Policy at the University of Florida, is very helpful for both patients and their providers. The best way for your student to make sure all concerns are addressed is to talk about their medical history and current condition(s) as completely and honestly as possible.

Can the SHCC treat my student if they have a chronic condition (asthma, diabetes, IBS, etc.)?

If your student has a chronic condition (asthma, diabetes, IBS, etc.), we encourage them to schedule an initial evaluation appointment at the SHCC to provide past medical records and discuss a treatment plan while here at UF. Students may include parents or family members at this appointment if the SHCC is notified when the appointment is made. If the SHCC cannot treat your student, we can refer them to a qualified community provider and help with the transition. Additional assistance is available for students with physical, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities through the Disability Resource Center (Dean of Students Office, Division of Student Affairs).

Can the SHCC fill prescriptions, and do you take insurance?

Students may fill new and transfer most current prescriptions to the SHCC Pharmacy (Phone: (352) 392-1760 or (866) 941-1760 toll-free), which accepts a variety of commercial prescription plans when the associated plan’s card is presented at the time of purchase, and completes refills by phone or through the SHCC Online Refill Service. The SHCC Pharmacy accepts electronic prescriptions from any physician in the U.S. that subscribes to the Surescripts network. Find out more about e-prescriptions and whether your provider is a member at

Can I access my student’s medical records?

As a parent, you’ve been involved in the health care of your child since day one. Due to federal privacy laws, however, the SHCC may not communicate with anyone other than the patient about their care without their express permission. But sometimes a phone call is all it takes to stay in the know. To help both you and your student adjust, we recommend regular communication via phone or email to discuss your student’s health and well-being.

  • In accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the SHCC may not release information about medical care for any student 18 or over without express permission from the patient. (By law, medical records for patients 17 and under are available to parents/legal guardians.)
  • Should a patient 18 or over wish to release specific medical information to a third party, such as a parent or family member, they should inform their health care provider during or immediately after their visit. As each visit is treated individually, the patient must inform their healthcare provider of their wishes at each visit.
    Note: Parents may not schedule an appointment at SHCC on behalf of their student. Appointments must be made only by patients/students either in-person or via phone.

Click here to read about information privacy and security at the SHCC, as well as review our JOINT NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES AND NOTICE OF ORGANIZED HEALTH CARE ARRANGEMENT.


Alachua County and the UF campus both have their fair share of wild animals, and sometimes visitors and students will come into contact with them in a not-so-nice way. For that reason, we offer vaccines and care for animal bites. (NOTE: Anyone working with unvaccinated carnivores will go through the pre-employment rabies pre-exposure series.)

Wildlife is just that: WILD. Unvaccinated, non-domesticated (feral) cats and dogs are potential rabies carriers. Wild mammals such as raccoons and bats are also potential rabies carriers. Following these few basic tips can help keep you “out of the woods”:

  • Do not interact directly with wildlife on campus, including calling or chasing.
  • Do not feed wild animals or leave out food for feral cats or dogs — no matter how friendly they may seem — or try to pick up a new pet.
  • If you find a hurt or injured animal, call Florida Wildlife Care at (352) 371-4443. (24-hour help line: (352) 371-4400)

Bottom line? Enjoying wildlife from a distance keeps animals wild and people safe.